Tuesday, May 14, 2013

In at Ten

Inspected apple blossoms on our daily walk up to the pond.  Incredibly, they look okay.  Still cold tonight, it's 25 F. now, am hoping they make it through another freeze.  Came home from work to find a skinny little black doe with a new black buck kid.  Adorable boy, very healthy.  Got them situated with molasses water and some of Stan's gorgeous green second cut hay.  Mom hardly had two squirts of milk, which I gave to the boy.  I used the reserve I had in the fridge from another mother to fill his belly.  Found a thick wool sweater for him as he is under a window I covered with a fleece blanket.   Three more mom's to go in the maternity pen.   Will make another larger communal kindergarten pen for the one's who graduate from the baby jugs.  Flighty Mom's baby is fantastic.  Caught him and made sure his belly is full.  Not to worry he is doing fine, jumping and playing alongside mom.   Still worry about him roaming at large, but with all these dogs the varmints tend to stay away.  The ewe twin lamb, Maya, born the night I came home from Maryland, is not coming along the way I would like.  She is very lethargic and doesn't like to stand up.  Like a Raggedy Ann. I'm giving her Nutri Drench, milk replacer, B complex, Bo-Se (selenium/vitamin E).  She's growing, but is not strong.  Her brother jumps and plays but she doesn't join in.  She was a little perkier today, but not the way I like.  I won't give up on her.   Mom would love to get out of the pen.    Came in from chores at ten, now it's time for Maya's night-night bottle, then night-night for me.  Wood stove is going, night sky is clear and lovely with a pretty orange crescent moon.  Love the sky here and my big hill is the perfect venue to enjoy it.

1 comment:

12Paws said...

Just checking in--just to say hello to you, Supermom--Sorry about the damaging frost & prayers for the little ewe to recover.