Monday, February 25, 2013

Kiddie Art

We made Bartholomew Cubbins hats in art today.  Fawn and I are working with several elementary and middle school classes in addition to our normal load.  I can tell you this is a big challenge and I am sorely pressed to come up with artsy things that little kids with short attention spans like to do.  Luckily they have aides who come with them and are very, very helpful.  Dr. Seuss's birthday is coming up soon.  Annie T. sent me the idea of reading The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins and attached a site to learn how to make these nifty hats out of newspaper.  I drove to Hamilton yesterday, 17 miles each way, to pick up the only copy available at the Colgate Univ. Bookstore.   That's okay, as I also picked up the Sunday Times and some Indian take out from my favorite restaurant in Hamilton.  On the way home I stopped to play with Barb Taylor's horses.  What a nice break from picking and washing wool and worrying about my art curriculum.  Our budget is tight and old newspapers are plentiful.  We have lots of paint left over from last year and students love to paint.  I stalked a couple of roosters in the barn this morning and obtained enough tail feathers for the plumes.  There are two very perturbed birds on my farm right now.  I figure it's payback for all the stress they've given me and my cats, not to mention the poor hens. 

No comments: