Sunday, February 10, 2013

Fur Ball 2013

I did chores early, and even got the garbage down to the dumpster. I found the box in the barn containing my Bergdorf Goodman black shearling full length coat, which I have virtually no occasion to wear around here.  Low and behold, it was okay.  No mold, bugs or other critters got to it while packed away.  Finding something suitable to wear, that fits, was another matter.  Put an outfit together and off we went, arriving at the Canasawacta Country Club fashionably late.  The Valentine Fur Ball was in full swing, with red satin cocktail dresses, even a tiger print mini dress, crowding the bar.  We hung up our coats and greeted Peggy Finnegan, a SPCA board member and Colorscape director.  We thought we would find a table in the banquet room where the band, The Roadhouse Roosters, was in full swing.  I came face to face with Dr. Cindy, my faithful customer and friend from the Hamilton Farmer's Market.  She suggested we join her party and introduced us to her friends.  I was anxious to look over the Silent Auction  table and spied my ample Maggie's Farm basket on the Live Auction table.  Yes, they were really going to offer it up for live bidding.  What if nobody bid on it?  I looked around and saw very few people I know.  Maybe I could remain anonymous.  After a few plates of the tiny shrimp that require peeling, guacamole, and baked brie with walnuts, the Live Auction commenced.  The SU basketball tickets went, then the Adirondack Getaway, then the Pompous Ass Winery Weekend, and I thought oh, my hand creme and soap basket is not going to get any bidders from this classy crowd.  The auctioneer really didn't say much about the basket other than "handmade goods."  I was hoping he would say something about "local sheep farm," or   "you need hand creme in the winter," or whatever.  I thought now is the time to slink under the table.  Then I heard $75, then $85, and several bidders drove the price up to $180.  Phew!  I was very relieved and gratified.  If sold retail the goods added up to $200, and that did not include the lovely vintage large willow basket I found in Cazenovia, and the mound of carded wool I put in the bottom to hold everything up.   $180 will feed a few homeless doggies and kitties for a little while.  I did my bit.  After attempting to dance Matt gave up.  His fingers were pounding from the wounds he received the day before when he stuck them in the running tractor motor.  The nails are cut through and rather gruesome.  I had step by step instructions from Surgical Nurse Practitioner on how to peel bloody bandages off the goo.  Nasty business!  Can you imagine a certified OSHA instructor doing that?  He admits he screwed up big time.  We left early while my table mates were winding around the dance floor with maracas and tambourines.     We drove home in minus 2 temps but no precipitation.    My own shelter doggies and kitties were very happy to see us.  I'm already looking forward to next year's Fur Ball and will have another fabulous mega-basket  ready for donation.  Here's hoping for no injuries to dim the excitement next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Matt Big ouch!! Hope he heals fast. Glad your basket brought in good dollars for the cause.