Friday, November 09, 2007

Venus Rising


I love getting up early. I force myself to lie in the bed and make a conscious mental note of what it feels like to do absolutely nothing. But it doesn't last long and I swing the legs over the side. I grab my favorite "vintage" J. Crew sweater that I bought Mia while she was still in high school and pull it over the flannels. I love the way Mia gives clothes and shoes back to me. Lately I've been wearing the Dansko Mary Janes that didn't make the cut. They are a half size too small, Mia takes an 8, but I still squeeze into them without socks. The New Agey CD channel is playing just the right music and the doggies are hopping up and down to go out. At that point I am hopping up and down too and have to make them wait a minute. Oh, what luxury! To stumble from a cold bedroom to a warm bathroom. There is a baseboard electric heater running almost the entire wall under the window next to the Royal Throne. What a difference a year makes. This time last fall I was making my way in the dark to a freezing cold plastic out house. Now, that's not a pleasant way to wake up your keester! I pop leashes on Tanner and Pip and we all pile out, but not before I flip the switch on the coffee pot. I never wanted a drink or a cigarette in my life but I sure do want my coffee in the AM. I even have the cups with milk and sugar in the microwave, ready to heat up. Years ago while in England I was served heated coffee for my tea. What a coup that was! Heated milk! How brilliant! Why pour cold milk into hot coffee or tea? Anyway, we crash through my work room to get to the outer barn. Most of the doggies head for the north side of the barn where the White Boys live, but I take Pip and Tanner out the south side which requires going through the Milk Room doors. Thor is loose all night to guard the place, and since he still wants to kill Pip I have to sneak out the other side. Yesterday morning, Thor was anticipating that move and came running around to our side. We had to high-tail it back in and rush into the apt. I am hoping that Thor's operation on Nov. 28 will help calm the desire to wipe out his competition. So here I sit, drinking the java that Kim and Darryl brought me from Canada as a late birthday present. It was in a basket filled with all kinds of goodies. They sure do know what I like. Poor Kim, she slammed the car door on her hand and broke two fingers. Not a good thing to happen to a fiber artist with two little kids, a dog, a cat, and dozens of rabbits to take care of. I hope she wraps her hand up good. I smashed the tip of one finger last winter and it took weeks for the feeling to come back. Venus is still up there, in very close proximity to the moon, but the waning crescent is gone. How magnificent they were just two mornings ago, and so worth venturing out to view. My doggie hike last night was in complete, total darkness. The stars would have been wonderful but they were obscured by cloud cover. I had new batteries in my miner's light, fortunately, but the beam doesn't cast enough light to stay on the sheep path. I follow the dogs up the hill as they can see in the dark. Little groups of sheep would run across the path once in a while. It was very delightful indeed.

No comments: