Saturday, January 27, 2007

Silos


This is what I see when I come out of the trailer - the silos that shield us from the bone chilling winter winds coming out of the north. This farm once supported a hundred dairy cows that produced a million gallons of milk a year. The silos held the haylage and corn they lived on. The mow held fifteen thousand bales and kept the bottom floor, where the cows were milked, above freezing. My sheep and goats don't produce body heat the way the cows did, and I don't have the mow filled with hay. We are still trying to plug up holes and cover broken windows to raise the temperature to a point where the stock tank doesn't freeze. It was 13 F. yesterday morning at 6 am, and 20 F. this morning. I am trying to keep electric cords to a minimum because we are still trying to figure out which box is for what.

No comments: