Sunday, January 28, 2007

My Barn


Every morning when I take the dogs up the hill I am impressed with my barn. When I went to Central New York (at that time I knew it as Upstate New York) to look for a barn and land for my sheep I saw too many barns that were about to fall down or were half on the ground already. I would be afraid to put my sheep in them. This barn had been well cared for over the years. It was built in the 1930's and dairy farmed by the Kupris family for 65 years before I got here. They still live in the original farm house next door. One milk check paid for a huge extension to the barn. The Kupris sisters, now Sisters, built the roof which is perfectly pitched and does not leak. Sister Bernadette's job was to climb to the top of the thousands of bales in the hay mow and change the light bulbs. I will never have that much hay in there, or a big enough ladder. Sadly, most of the land was sold before I got here but I own the Heart of the Farm - the barn!

No comments: