Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Maryland 2011 Musings


Hard to imagine that two days ago I was already stationed at my booth, helping customers. It seems a million miles away. I ran around after work yesterday, on fumes as I got three hours sleep the night before, and got some things I needed yesterday. I picked up the lye I needed to finally get the Garden Rose soap going, and managed to cook it last night. It took quite a bit of doing to find my soap scale in the van which was packed expertly and tightly by Mia and Kim. Tonight I'll get a bag cut out. Big ideas. I'm feeling a bit more refreshed this morning having recouped some zzzzz's. As I ran out of the barn to work I heard some frantic goat calls. I resisted the inclination to ignore the desperate pleas for help and put all my gear down to go and investigate. The newest little buck kid had escaped the pen and mom was stuck in it. Poor mom, she was calling him to somehow wiggle back in the way he got out, but nothing doing. He was bouncing and leaping up and down the corridor behind the pens. It took a bit of chasing and grabbing of his little sweater to get a hold of him, but I managed to pop the squealing little monkey back in with his mom. He might have done the same thing once I gathered up my bags and zoomed off to school but I can't do anything about it now. I'll get home as soon as I can and secure the pen as best I can. The dual life of the shepherd/professional woman can be very frustrating but we deal with it the best we can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Maggie - it was so great to meet you in person at MDSW this year! I'll be continuing to follow your doings here on your blog. If you're curious about shepherding in TX, you can check mine out as well. Thanks again for the lovely conversation and the distant companionship of fellow shepherdesses.
Blessings,
Cindy
Jacob's Reward Farm
Parker, TX