Monday, July 14, 2008

It's Over


I took my last two certification tests for teaching in NY yesterday. Got to bed late, then up at 5. It takes me a half hour to make and drink enough coffee to get the machine working, and by six Matt was yelling "Get OUTTAHERE - you are going to be LATE!!" I drove the 56 miles and got there a half hour early. Had to wait another half hour to get in, then getting everybody settled took another half hour. When I opened the door to the school I heard Hi Maggie! and there was Sandy the graphic arts teacher from my school. We chatted the waiting time away and met for lunch after our first exams. I was in a sweltering hot gymnasium morning and afternoon. The track team girls did not have their concession stand set up for breakfast like last time, so didn't get any. I had an awful time focusing, think it was the heat. I kept kicking myself into gear thinking about $200 bottles of wormer and hay bills. All those wooly faces floating around in the air in front of my face...I think I passed the Students with Disabilities test, but the Secondary Ed? All that pedagogy, and all those multiple choice answers with two or three options that looked good to me. Who do they get to dream all this stuff up? I doubt if they are in a classroom teaching anywhere. My heart started thumping when I turned the essay page - but I got a manageable one for both tests - I think! Dragged my butt home and staggered in at five. Luke ran into my arms and all was well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the day's stress became moot as soon as your 2 little men (one 2 legged, the other 4 ) ran to you with hugs and kisses!

Annie said...

Congrats on finishing the testing. Hope the rest of the week is relaxing!