Monday, December 31, 2007

Snowing Into the New Year


It's snowing steadily and the round bales we picked up yesterday are covered. I got the sheep out to graze a little on the exposed grass on Saturday and they loved it. There is peace in the barn, no lambs or kids. I am trying to do as much as I can before work on Wednesday. Wrap soap, cut soap and get it on the drying rack, cut out bags. Woke up at 3:30, worried about lambs in the cold, worried about money. When I get up the dogs get up which means getting them outside before they do their business inside. Izzy hates the snow. He's so little it envelopes his hairless body, but I push him out anyway. I have Pip and Tanner on leashes so they don't take off. Without Tanner to run away with, Holly comes right back in. Without Pip to run away with, Jasper comes right back in. Oh, the doggie logistics! Somehow the dog run I have been asking for these last two years never got built. Will have to do it myself with a student when the ground thaws. Get the dogs back in and tiptoe through the barn to check for lambs. If I walk very slowly and speak quietly the sheep and goats don't get up. It's usually the llamas who jump up first when I walk past them. My old vet said llamas are jumpy as cats and I agree. No lambs or kids yet. Funny that one sheep conceived and had little Sparkle and the others waited for the next cycle, or maybe two cycles. As the year closes I am wondering how long I can keep up a business that hasn't made a dime in almost ten years. I'm too old to keep throwing money at something that only gives me spiritual satisfaction. Yesterday Matt said I remind him of an old girlfriend with a cocaine habit. Hmmmm, yes, I guess sheep are habit forming. Am I coming to my senses? I'm afraid so. I see some changes coming up.

2 comments:

Kathy Withers said...

I would not get up in the morning some days, if I did not have the animals to see to, so they have become a necessity. Of course, my husband says I can't keep them, if I don't feed them. Don't give up your sanity!

Anonymous said...

Are those sweet creatures across the street from you? If so, god bless every bite!

:)