Sunday, June 01, 2008

T-Day


Up at 4:30, rushed through chores and bath to get out the door at 6:15. The ride to Syracuse is really not bad, with lots of farms and fields to enjoy. Nottingham H.S. was crowded with over a thousand future teachers and crusty old teachers like me. The one "old teacher" I struck up a conversation with moved here from Va. and had to re-certify, like me. The young ones said they were looking for jobs. I was there in plenty of time but had to wait an hour through long lines to get my room, then sit at a desk for another half hour so people with "paperwork problems" could get straightened out. I did all this in NJ years ago, but here we are. They took thumbprints, checked ID's over and over, took a handwriting sample so we couldn't slip an essay written by someone else into the packet, I guess. Many threats about cell phones, scores invalidated, etc. Okay, okay, let's get started. It's very humbling, sitting there with a pencil and a test, that's it. You find out what you're made of. The Social Studies exam was first, with 90 plus questions then the essay. Took me just under four hours to do it and I was rubbing my eyes. Lots to do with economics and lots of questions with "fuzzy answers" where I had to read the questions and answers over and over again and think about it. When I couldn't decide I had to go with my instincts. I was afraid to peak at my essay question because I knew I would worry about it through the whole test if I got something I knew nothing about. I was very relieved to find the topic - imperialism in Africa, something we've covered in Gretchen's class. They only wanted 300 words but I could have gone on for pages with Rudyard Kipling, Social Darwinism, etc. I was exhausted anyway and stopped. You are not allowed to stand up until a proctor comes to get your test, so I raised my hand and got the heck out of there. Guess what, no coffee, not even a soda machine anywhere. Some kids were selling bagels outside. A nice proctor taking cell phones at a table went into the teacher's room and got me a Pepsi, which really helped an hour and a half later when I was sitting for the next exam - Liberal Arts and Sciences. Thank the Saints there were only a few math and science questions. Most were long passages of verbage with questions that said things like pick an outline for this reading, or what are they trying to say, etc. I was getting tired and sheep faces were floating in front of me, along with dogs, cats, goats, llamas and chickens. I had to remind myself they are why I am doing this to myself. No job - no farm. My essay, thankfully, was a debate on the merits of a year long public school schedule - I argued for it due to high costs of day care and both parents working, on and on. I staggered out bleary eyed at 4:30. I was fried, but so relieved. I think I have a chance of passing. Two more tests to take - Students with Disabilities and Secondary Education. Don't know when I'll do it, but I have until August 31 until my temporary certificate expires. More stress but put it out of my mind ...Came home and took care of my critters, sat in the field, watched the sheep graze and wound myself down. Oh, if only I had some cute little bottles of tonic water that pop with fizz when you open them, Bombay gin and big juicy chunks of fresh lime, in a tall beautiful glass filled with ice. Didn't happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you did just fine! Hang in there -- taking the next 2 tests over the summer when you don't also have the pressure of classes Monday-Friday, will make them less stressful. Still high-anxiety-time, but less that this session.

Wish I'd known (remembered?) that you had the tests, I would've found some way to have that fizz, gin and lime ready for you ..

Snuggle my "Freckles" for me!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it went fine! See you tomorrow at School...yay.