Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tuesday, Tuesday


What a funny day Tuesday is. We're not over the hump yet, but we have gotten Monday out of the way. I scurried around this morning, getting bottles and coffee ready and trying to get my head into job mode. I had to break out the teat bucket again. Just can't give all those bottles myself, even though I have perfected holding bottles between my legs and two in each hand. The bottle-bottle babies are still in the dog pen so I can hang the bucket in there. I have to prepare the milk, pour it into gallon milk jugs, then carry out the teat bucket, full bottles and gallon jugs out to the lambs in the outer barn. They swarm me and I put the bucket inside the pen. They are so excited they try to jump IN the bucket with the milk instead of sucking on the teats. I am busy with the lambs outside the pen who are just being supplemented with bottles. You would never know they have mothers - they act like they have not been fed in days. Their sharp little hoofs claw at my fleece pants and sometimes succeed in pulling down my pants altogether! I got their bellies full and ran back into the apt. to get myself ready. I bathed, shampooed, started to get dressed and realized I had never put my pants in the dryer! Ran into the bedroom and started tearing through the clothes pile. Yikes, I wish I took as good care of myself as I do of these sheep. Finally found something and ran out. It feels like I am leaving a giant day care center alone, unsupervised. The propensity for disaster is enormous. I glanced at the thermometer - 9F on the milk room steps. Thank goodness the heat decided to work on the truck today. I never know. Meetings after work and all I could think about was the farm, and is everything alright. Rushed home to find the doggies had gotten bored and torn up some pillows. Notice the carbon monoxide alarm that saved my life a couple of months ago, chewed up on the floor. Thanks, Doggies!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

-9F. OMG. That is so cold! Dogs, gotta love 'em. Mine drag their beds out the dog door and leave them to freeze outside. Not so smart, but fun I guess.
Think Spring.
Kristin

Oh yeah, they chew them up as well:)

Wooly Works said...

I've been directed here by my sister Kathleen. I've read several of your blogs and I see why she loves it here so much. I didn't breed my angora goats this year. Didn't have buyers for them and couldn't justify breeding for the sake of breeding. So this is the first year I haven't had to wrestle with a pen full of bottle babies and feeding schedules and such. I miss it and enjoy reading about someone else dealing with all of that and life on the side. It's not the quite the pastoral scene that people imagine. Thanks so much. I'll be back!