Monday, July 25, 2005

Visit to Maggie's new farm...


We went up to the new farm on Saturday to measure for new windows and explore the lay of the land. Full summer reigns in the valley. We went up the road past the farm and found the town of Brookfield, a teeny tiny hokey pokey hardly a town. Fine with me. In the three days I have been on the farm I only saw two cars go by. We happened on a yearly local event, "Mule Days" at the county fairgrounds in Brookfield. I didn't know black and white spotted mules existed. There were all colors and sizes of mules being put through their paces in the show ring. I adore mules and would love to own one someday to ride around the farm, so I made some good connections.

We met the Sisters who grew up on the farm, started by their Lituanian parents 65 years ago. What a blessing to have them next door. They gave us all the lowdown on when the barn was added on to, what problems to watch out for. They told us they had been praying for nice people who do not hunt to buy the property...that's us! Their brother took over raising Holsteins from their parents but fell on hard times and had to sell. We are the third owners of a small section of what was once 230 acres. Wish I had gotten there sooner, but have to keep telling myself to be happy with what we have, the heart of the farm...the beautiful barn.

Back to Pa. to take care of the critters and get organized. Have to get grain today. I am still buying in bags but on the new farm I will have it delivered in bulk and blown into the grain room where I can shovel it out with a wheelbarrow. We gave the llamas and lambs shots yesterday. Oh, how much easier it will be when I can get them corralled in the barn and seperate the ones with problems, etc. I am tired of doing everything slip shod and in the weather. Oh, Lord, thank you for my barn.

No comments: