Saturday, December 21, 2013

Studio Art Bake Sale

We decided to hold a bake sale to raise money for a pottery wheel.  Our new principal who is very supportive of our program wants us to fire up the huge kiln that has never been used.  The head safety man came down from Support Services and gave the go-ahead.  He also told me to take down all my hanging stars, clouds, sun and moon, too.  Fire hazard he says.  Okay, okay, I'll get to it.  Fawn, my aide, works at a fancy bed and breakfast in New Berlin and has had bakery experience.  She was a real trooper, whipping up cookie dough and fancy cookies from scratch.  I was on clean up detail.  Good thing I make this fabulous hand creme....just sayin'.  We put out quite an impressive spread in the Bakery Corner outside of the Culinary Department.  We had Dreamdrop Cookies (with meringue from my duck eggs), Thumbprint cookies with chocolate kisses,  crumbly cookies with raspberry preserves and mint jelly for the red and green touch, and Ghiradelli chocolate chip cookies.   I made two large batches of delicious fudge, the only thing that didn't sell out.  The students ran the booth and made around $150 for our pottery wheel.  I have to research how much wheels go for.  For the time being we will make hand built tiles in wooden forms.  I have a friend in Morristown who did her kitchen countertops and backsplash with her own handmade tiles.  It was absolutely stunning.  No granite could compete.  I suspect our room will be sufficiently heated for the winter with this big kiln going.  I see tee-shirts and flip-flops in our future, and a very frustrated custodian when he sees the class room floor.
 From left to right:  Cheryl Porter, Special Ed Aide, Fawn Dix, Studio Art Aide, and Sharon Winans, Special Ed Secretary, also known as Captain of the Mother Ship.  We know who really keeps the placed running!
The fudge is delicious, and sold briskly, but cookies took the prize.  We made gift cans out of red plastic Folger coffee cans, and gift boxes with a template and rubber stamps. They were very well received with people asking us to fill up a can or box for them.

No comments: