Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mother Katherine

I met Mother Katherine when my son, the priest, took me to the Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery in Otego, New York.  Mother Katherine keeps a flock of rescued sheep of several varieties.  She took us on a tour of her farm where she also raises milking goats and cows.  Mother Katherine has a special relationship with her sheep.  They are all named and they all have personal relationships with Mother K.  I've never met a shepherd who is so intimately involved with her sheep, even me.   It was necessary for Mother Katherine to leave the monastery to visit her aged mother in Florida.  I asked who was going to take care of her sheep.  She simply replied, "God."  And she means it.  Mother Katherine weaves her clothing from her own wool.  She wore a lovely cape and hat to New York State Sheep and Wool this past weekend where she spent the whole weekend on site with Bluebell and friend.   She allowed us to take her out to dinner and bring her back to the fairgrounds where she slept on a pile of pelts, under handwoven wool blankets.  Heavenly!



No comments: