Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ashes to Ashes

It's hunting season now. Hunting is a way of life here in Northern Appalachia and many families depend on it to feed their families. As much as I hate it, I can understand the need to put food in the freezer. I'm not crazy about the absentee land owners who buy land here and only come for the "fun" of killing deer. It's not like we have an "overpopulation" problem here in the wide open spaces. I don't know who pulls my No Hunting signs down year after year. I didn't put up any this season. Why bother? I would climb down a culvert and up the bank to nail the rigid sign on a tree trunk just to have someone do the same to yank it down. People know there is no shooting on my land, and the deer who hide in my apple orchard are safe with me.

No comments: