Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Nighty-Night Jupiter


I go out every night with the doggies for one last pee, and I spend some time looking at the sky. I confess the motions of the moon, stars and planets are confusing to me at times, but so beautiful and mysterious. I thought the moon had disappeared, getting ready to start it's phases over again with a new waxing sliver, leaving Jupiter to shine alone, but there it was - a soft, lopsided fuzzy glowing orb, just over the piney ridge. The tips of the pines were silhouetted against the light, with wispy black clouds floating over it. I was transfixed. The scene would not be nearly as dramatic without the ridge rising over the little valley where my farm lives. The dogs wondered why I was standing still and not walking with them down the little field next to the tractor barn. The scene was breathtaking. Jupiter has moved south and west and is still bright as a shiny diamond, with a soft halo around it. Time to go out and see what's happening in the night-time sky.

No comments: