Sunday, April 01, 2012

Soapy

Sleety rain outside.  Orange coals glowing in the wood stove.  I'm getting set up to make soap.  I got another 50 pounds or so of dyed fiber ready to ship out to the mill tomorrow, and cut out another two Bundaflicka totes.  It's time to get the soap train going again.  I wish, oh, how I wish I had a dedicated soap making studio, but, for now, my little kitchen will have to do.  If only I didn't cook so much.  All these dishes, pots and pans definitely get in the way of my soap making.  It does force me to clean up the kitchen before I can get out the scales, pots, vegetable shortening, olive oil, spoons, thermometers, essential oils, shea butter, goat milk, lye, etc.  It's a tricky process no matter how long you've been making soap.  For me, it's been more than 15 years since I received a soap-making kit for Christmas from a friend.  The rest is history.  One of these days I'll stop, but, for now, I'll continue to wash away the woes of the world, or attempt to, with my soap.  Wool to keep the world warm, totes to carry the load, and soap to wash away the worries.  Sounds good to me.

No comments: