Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Day One

Lingering in the morning is oh, so nice.  I \woke up with very cold feet, the covers likely pulled off by a dog, Reba I think.  Getting out of bed means disturbing at least a couple of creatures,  meaning Izzy and Reba for sure.  I am the one responsible for keeping the fire going.  Matt pays for the wood but I do the rest.  It's a big job, especially with my stove that burns wood so fast it needs a continuous feed.  Letting it go out means newspaper, kindling and some kind of fire starter.  I'm always relieved when I find warm coals under the ashes which makes it much easier.  First fire, then coffee, then the bathroom kitties, then the doggies out.  I kept Tanner on the leash this morning so she doesn't take off with Bertha, my great big puppy who resembles a mini Saint Bernard.  I looked up the hill and saw Bertha bounding through the snow, following Finn.  Such a cute scene.  She loves Finn, but everyone does.  Knut gives Bertha a nip to remind her of her lowliness on the doggie pecking order ladder.  Thor tolerates her barely.  Finn loves every animal on the farm, even still when he walks through the barn the sheep stampede away on either side of him.  Walking in the snow kills my ankle.  A farmer with a bum ankle, or leg, or knee...well you might as well shoot me.  I just can't be still for long.  I put the cast back on to help.  I'm climbing ladders now, trying to use my toes on the rungs.  I love being up in the mow with my Hay Mow Kitty friends and the big round bales under the massive cathedral ceiling.   Matt mentioned something about building hay feeders with the Premier plans that will be put in the far end of the barn so I can throw hay out the back into the extension on the east end.  I've been waiting for over ten years for him to build hay feeders so I will reserve comment.  I finally hired Loren to build the ones I'm using now, but they are breaking down with wear.  Matt is hooking up my washer and installing the new slop sink so I can get to washing wool.  There is a massive amount to send to the carder.  Two pots simmering on the dye stove in the milk room keep my water pipes from freezing in there, so it behooves me to get started on the wool.  Temps are diving below zero this week.  If I'm lucky he'll get my new Bosch dishwasher connected today too.  Good way to start off the new year.  I use way too much hot water washing dishes by hand.  Funny, with such a mild fall it seems like winter will be shorter this year.  When April first rolls around I feel like we are out of the woods, even though the grass won't be ready for grazing until the end of May.  That's when we party.  We also go to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival in May.  I'm hoping that Annie and Hannah come to Maryland too.  Hannah loves the fiber art scene, lucky for me.  She's as talented as her mommie and with time and practice she'll have her own booth at the sheep shows.

No comments: