Sunday, January 06, 2013

Fork It Over


The big metal dairy water tank given to me by my neighbor and dragged through the snow drifts is now in daily use.  The sheep love it.  I love being able to fork large amounts of hay down from the mow without having to climb down the ladder and mash it down, repeating the process a few times.  It has some drawbacks, like the enterprising goats and small sheep who get on top and munch from above the frey.  I found goats sleeping in the tank this morning.  At least I know they won't get their feet caught in the cattle panel hay feeders.  That horrific scene has met me twice and it's one you won't forget.  I dream about the Premier custom feeders that are V shaped with a table underneath to catch the droppings.  They require the purchase of materials and a talented handyperson to put them together.  Maybe someday....but in the meantime here we are.  Some of the round bales fall apart so nicely.  Others require much work with pulling and tearing.  The sheep are fat and happy and that is very, very nice.

No comments: