Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Surprise!

While opening the gate to let the sheep out to graze I noticed a tiny little body peeking out from behind the round bale.  Thought I was hallucinating from too much birthday cake, then saw another little white body, cord hanging, nearby.  Twins!  Then I noticed there were no "packages" hanging from the rear end - ewes!  Mom, a veteran mother, was nearby, calling them to her.  I grabbed them quickly and did my backward crouch into the barn all the way into the pen I used for Rudolpho and Marcello in August.  What a thrill!  I can't believe I've had two sets of twins in two months - a first for this shepherd in more than ten years with sheep.  Did my clip-dip-strip routine and got Mama some fresh hay and a bit of grain.  One twin a bit smaller than the other.  Both teats working.  Will get her some warm water with molasses now to get that milk moving.  Everybody doing fine.

No comments: