Sunday, October 07, 2012

Sunday Morning Musings

Watching for rain.  Can't have the sheep wet when shearing tomorrow.  I'm excited about all those big bags of wool to play with.  Luckily I have two former students - Andrew and "Crash" are coming to round them up, catch the sheep and hand them over for shearing.  Jim Baldwin will shear them, Matt and I will take it from there with shots, hoof trimming, sweeping the platform and bagging the wool.  Sure could use someone else but the Parkinsons can't make it.  We'll see.  I can't wait any longer to shear.  I need the wool for Rhinebeck and the sheep need time to grow back some more before the snow flies.  Luckily they have a big strong barn to get out of the cold.  On deck for today:  cut up lots of lavender soap, make enough hand creme to get out some orders and cut out some bags for sewing on week nights after work and chores.   I have a lot of really cute fabric - thank you Carol of Crayonbox Designs - and would love to put my scissors to it.  I'm cooking a big pot of cabbage/cauliflower/kidney bean/onion soup to ward off colds and live on over the next two weeks while Matt is away building weatherization training houses for community colleges across the state.  The weather has turned nicely cool and I plan on building a little smoldering fire on those nights when I'm here alone with the doggies.  This time of year I pull the sofa in front of the wood stove, pile on with the doggies, and go into peasant mode.  I hope I don't have any more deaths in the near future, but with all the older animals I have I think I can count on it.  I'm worried about my old Rambo mama.  Those big wethered ram lambs are really taking it out of her.  I bought a bottle of vitamin B complex and gave her a shot of it yesterday.  She's thin despite worming and lies down a lot, staring into space with foggy eyes.  Thankfully the boys are eight weeks old and will survive without her, but still...she's my last Rambouillet, rescued from the shepherd who sold her farm, bought a Winnebago and took off several years back.  I love those big majestic sheep, gentle giants, but they are hard to handle with slow growing wool that needs special processing.  I am a British long wool sheep lover, but those big Rambos were wonderful while I had them.  I'm enjoying the political news and current events are always interesting.  I think any social minded caring working person would be terrified of a Republican presidency.  I work with the poorest of the poor every day, some of whom only have one set of clothes and get their only hot meal in school.  I keep reminding them that their vote is every bit as powerful as any wealthy person in high positions.  They can't imagine having any power to change their position in society...but then, I work with people who have Masters Degrees and don't vote.  They tell me it makes no difference.  How can I convince them they are oh, so wrong?

1 comment:

Sara Hartman said...

Good for you, Maggie, to be encouraging your students and their families to vote - and you're right, the poor have the most to fear in this fiscal environment and already have the least. Thanks for your compassion for both humans and all the critters.