Friday, October 12, 2012

Feeding Hay

My feeding of round bales will not be as hard as I anticipated.  The guys rolled out a bale to the barnyard on Monday.  By last night, Tuesday, it was wet and trampled on.  I knew I had to put out hay this morning.  I pulled a big water tank that will no longer hold water under the far hay mow hole.  I pull apart the layers of the round bale with my hands.  The hay is lovely and sweet, but it's first cut and has some sticks.  The sheep don't seem to care - they love it.  I throw down big chunks of hay into the water tank until it's a high mound, then climb down the ladder into the tank.  My stepping on it serves to mash down the hay which I then scoop up in big armfuls to put into the hay feeders. If I had room in the barn to roll out a bale I would be better off, but with 50 crammed in next to each other that's not possible.  I'll figure it out...

No comments: