Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mo' Mohair

I'm working on getting my angora goats shorn.  When I clip their mohair with scissors I can leave on a nice layer to keep them warm, like I did with this little guy.  Mohair grows very fast and they'll have a thick coat on in no time.    I adore mohair, and, thanks to my friends Dr. Quentin and Libby Llop, I'm able to give my goats the copper they need to make better fiber.  Libby sent me copper vitamins to give the goats when I shear them.  Copper is deadly to sheep but the goats need it.  Running animals with different nutritional needs together is a challenge.  In the meantime, I'm going to have several kid mohair fleeces to spin and knit for scarves to bring to the Plowshares Peace Festival in December, that is, if I have any time left after tending to all these critters.

No comments: