Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Misty and Spooky

Warmish dark and misty out there, with nary a star twinkling or moonbeam penetrating the cloud cover, so unlike last night when Izzy and I went up to the tippy top looking to bring in the sheep, with the full moon glowing through horizontal streaks of grey clouds.  I can't see a thing five feet in front of me tonight.  I dragged panels up the lane from the tractor shed to make a pen for the new family.  They won't be bothered by other sheep who want the hay and grain I gave mom and the babies won't be jostled about.  Mom will also be kept close to the babies until they are safely on the teat.  Don't think I'll have to worry about this mother straying - she's fantastic.   I sometimes let myself get spooked on nights like this, thinking Lydia the resident ghost might be wandering the grounds, keeping me company.  It's okay if she watches from afar - I don't want to accidentally walk through her ghostly protoplasmic web.  My headlight is enough to keep me from stepping in a dog or ground hog hole and finding the gate closure.  Just when I think I am about to get nervous, I look back toward my giant barn with the lights on from one end to another, and think of all the fat and happy critters inside, especially my newborn ewe lambs in a pen with their mama, warm and dry, and I make my way back into the cozy scene to finish chores.  I lingered quite a while tonight, watching mama eat her fresh grass hay and nibble on her grain, with the lambs napping and finally getting up to nurse, wagging their little tails, and I think, life is good. 

1 comment:

Sara Hartman said...

What an evocative scene you describe - the misty night with the mom and her 2 little ones tucked cozily in the barn. Congratulations on your new set of twins!