Friday, October 29, 2010

Pumpkin Pies



What a fun day it was today. Robin brought the girls she works with in the morning to my room to bake a birthday cake for a classmate while I was working with one of my morning students. They were so much fun to watch. Later my GED class continued the pumpkin pie project. Yes, it took two days, raw pumpkin to pies. It's lots of work (and a big mess) but it was a lot of fun and totally worth it. I've never made fresh pumpkin pies and loved doing it with the kids. I put in extra ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon and it tasted sooooo good, with an interesting lumpy texture and light orange color. We brought hot pumpkin pie to the teachers on the floor, left a hefty piece for our favorite custodian, Sean, who keeps our room so lovely and clean, and saved a pie for Monday.

No comments: