Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Light Up the Darkness


I love candles. I mean, I just love candles. I'm making soy wax jar candles to take to Rhinebeck and scenting them with Black Raspberry Vanilla scent. They are nothing fancy but they are simply wonderful. I have no fewer than seven older candles burning right now. They warm up the little apartment and give a lovely aroma. Candle making is fun. It's very messy, but what's new? Everything I do is messy. My dye stove would be a great place to melt wax, but it was shorted out in the last big rain storm. I'm hoping Matt can fix the wiring this weekend. Remember what happened to my microwave - a big Pyrex mixing bowl of beeswax exploded in it, then it caught on fire when I was melting palm oil for soap. Like my friend Henya says, I'm tough on electronics. So I'm melting soy wax in a little pot on my stove. Soy wax is a food stuff and isn't toxic. I have to clean up a bit in order to make coffee before work in the morning. Then it's soap wrapping for a couple of hours before bed. I'm reeeeally tired after the weekend and shearing. My counterpart at the sister BOCES has an alpaca farm in Sidney and will be at NY Sheep and Wool also. When I saw him last week I told him how tired I was and he nodded and said, you know it's only going to get worse. But this is what we have to do to keep our animals. Push the envelope. Christmas is coming and I hope to get some rest then, but so are my lambs. Better start knitting lamb sweaters soon...

No comments: