Friday, January 25, 2008

Still Cold - Warmer Temps Coming



No lambs today. I spent my morning proctoring a Regents exam and the afternoon riding around with my friend Kelly, the Career Academy aide, delivering exams to the home schools. It was a nice break and we had time to chat about this and that. We were going to stop for lunch but since we both had about a dollar fifty in our pockets we decided to just enjoy the ride around beautiful and sunny Central New York...all 100 miles worth. Our sending districts are spread all over. On Monday we have to drive to our sister BOCES school in Masonville, 50 miles away from me. We'll be attending a seminar entitled, "The Trouble With Boys." Growing up with three brothers, I can write a book on it. Kelly is going through a real rough time right now. Her husband, Steve, helped us build this apartment, then had a terrible accident. He fell through the rotted bottom of a hay wagon and broke his back. Four discs crushed. Steve is permanently disabled but lucky for him, he is married to Kelly - a real tough, kind, talented and capable farm girl. She will hold it all together. I wonder if she knows how much she inspires me to hold this Farm all together. I got home to find Buddy and Benny doing very well. Buddy is sucking on the Pritchards teat and Benny is running across the floor of the apt. I just have to keep up on Buddy so he doesn't slip. Still very cold, but will be milder this weekend. No lambs today. Have to keep an eye on all the little ones to make sure everyone is on the teat and not getting trampled by big ones. We'll get those big wethers, Andrew, Frodo, Bilbo, Aragorn, Patrick, etc. out of the girls pen this weekend. I want the main barn to be the maternity ward. Better get out there and check on everybody. Dark now at six instead of five - spring is on the way.

No comments: