Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hecky and His Friends



Hecky jumped over the fence to hang with the homeless Rambouillets and Merinos I adopted. A few other goaties followed him over. The kids love these gentle giants. On a bitter cold night like this they could use some extra heat. New lambs doing fine...I hope the alpaca sweaters do their job. Mother's milk inside is even more important. On nights like this I wish I had a smaller, more secure barn. It's impossible to close this place up enough to make a big difference in temperature. I'm afraid to go to bed for fear of lambs coming in this cold. All the barn does is keep them dry and out of the wind, and provides the shepherd with light and running water. Fortunately, most lambing takes place in the morning or evening, in my experience...but this does not always hold true. I had a Shepherd's Friend hand creme order so I made a batch tonight. I opened the email to find another order for creme, all the way from New Mexico. I'm getting rave reviews on the hand creme. It's serious stuff, not just top dressing like so many others.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep forgetting to tell you. My dad really likes your hand creme! He says he'll use that instead of the Hemp creme he got from the Body shop.

Hotness.

Maggie's Farm said...

Yep, its definitely heavy duty stuff! It's so much fun to make but I sure do make a mess - beeswax everywhere.

Nathan's Farm said...

Maggie i love your sheep there so pretty and i'm glad your making creme i love that stuff!! Have a great night..Nathan

Anonymous said...

And here come not only the rave reviews but orders too! Fantastic! Do you make purse sized containers? I can't remember, and got on the bus today and realized I hadn't put on another layer. My hands were crying out for care but my pockets were empty! Would a small size be realistic? Hope so ..

And look at the size differences between those dudes. What darling faces all around. Heck on cold nights I'D like to snuggle into their warm wooly bodies -- move over Hector!

Does the barn have a door at that end that you could close partially? If not, there's a project for Dave and Matt .... You and I can be in charge of sandwiches and iced tea and watching them work. We'll have to keep that idea in mind come warmer weather -- that is if they aren't quite busy on that house of mine!

hugs,

:) jan