Thursday, January 17, 2008

Meet Rocky Balboa


Rocky was born around midnight last night, in the East End of the barn, in the corner. It was SO cold and when I found him he was dancing around like a boxer. It must have been quite a shock to come out of his mother's warm, wet womb into that cold freezer of a barn. When I put his sweater on he instantly became still and quiet. I wonder if he thought he had been transported back up the birth canal where all he had to do was float around. After filling his belly with thick, gooey colostrum I left him in dreamland, and went to bed...or tried to anyway. The bed was filled with dogs. They still think we are living in the trailer, on the pull out cot, where I needed them for warmth. I have a real bed now and would like to stretch my legs out a bit. I pulled them off except for Izzy, who hardly takes up any room at all, but they jumped back on as soon as they thought I was asleep. I was up at five to check for any lambs born after Rocky, but nothing going on. Bet it will be a busy weekend in the maternity ward.

No comments: