Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Eat It Don't Wear It

I put some goaties on the south side of the barn in an effort to defeat the burdock, nettles and other invasive weeds that run wild on my farm.  I should have done this several weeks ago as the young burrs are serving as ornaments for the goats. They don't seem to mind and munch away on the greens.  I read in the NY Times that young burdock branches are popular in Japanese salads.  Haven't tried it myself.  The burrs are miserable in fiber and must be dealt with before going through a carding machine.  The weather is absolutely lovely today.  Hannah and Luke are so good, and so easy, but I know they are looking forward to being reunited with their parents, as they should be.  I don't hear much from Eric and Annie but the kids are constantly in touch via Ipods, Facetime, etc. and they tell me what's going on.  From what I can tell Eric is running a Cub Scout day camp in his new position at the Pine Tree Council in Portland.  I expect I will be driving the kids to Maine in a week or so.  I'm looking forward to seeing the family's new home in Gorham, and checking out the Portland scene.  I simply must get some salt water in my veins and will somehow get into or onto the ocean while I'm there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this picture -think it needs to be entered at Maryland :)
HUGs
Kim and the crew