Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Barn Repairs

Okay so I bought a magnificent old barn that needs a bit of work.  A bit of work is an understatement.  I still gaze in awe when I come over the hill from Brookfield and see my barn nestled in the valley.  Oh, what an amazing machine it must have been with 100 cows being milked twice a day and surrounded by 350 acres.  I'm lucky to own the barn and the few acres that were left by the time I got it.  The barn is the heart of the farm and it's mine.  Keeping it standing is a challenge.  I often say I wish I got it when I was 25 not 55 but here we are.  Boards are popping out and we won't even talk about the windows or the electric.  The enormity of it is daunting.  The three story hay mow upstairs is wonderful, and I imagine how it must have looked with hay stacked to the ceiling.  I always wanted a great, big house having grown up in a tiny 1950's ranch house with three brothers.  I have a giant barn instead.   My barn is an aging beauty, but she's still very classy and the prettiest barn around these parts.  Sometimes I just look away from the flaws, preferring to take in the whole package, kind of like with people.  Not a good idea to look too close. 

No comments: