Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Scorcher


Weather ups and downs continue. After a cool spell we will spike up to mid-nineties today. I was out late last night getting the sheep in. They were reluctant to go back inside and I don't blame them. The sky was so lovely, with sparkling stars and planets glowing in colors as they do in this clear northern air. A crescent moon was hanging in the inky blackness, just bright enough so as not to obliterate the stars with its light. Fireflies were twinkling over the meadow in the back under the ridge. There were little groups of sheep here and there and it was just dark enough that I could see diffuse shapes of white. Izzy came with me but he waits for the order to "Get them up" and I didn't give it. I just pushed them in gently so as not to stampede them. A scorcher is heating up today. Mid-nineties here in the hills. I have meetings at work and the usual worries that follow me through the day, farm and this weekend's sheep show in Bouckville, but I'm going to hold on to a little bit of that sweet time I spent outside last night. It was magical.

No comments: