Friday, April 02, 2010

What To Do First?


Home today for "Spring Friday." Funny, yesterday when I woke up I was extremely groggy and couldn't seem to roll out of bed. This morning I woke up at first light feeling good and rose with no problem. Got up and out with the doggies for a walk. The wind and light are just perfect today, and the oppressive heat is not upon us. The barn and apartment are nice and cool. After watering everybody, feeding cats, and doing a general all around barn check (only one yearling goat with his teeth stuck in his chin mohair) I set about getting some dye pots going. Lots of little bits of sticks and dirt in the wool. Has to be pulled out as BFL is so soft it does not wash out, contrary to popular belief. I have not been able to retrieve my big bag of fuschia wool from the Director as hoped. She left it at her house, and although she offered to drive home and get it I graciously said, oh, no, that's alright, I can wait until Monday for it. I could not have the Director of Special Education leaving her office on account of my wool after she was nice enough to rescue it from the pavement for me. Lipstick, already at the mill in Michigan, will be more red than pink, and Pacifica, still here on the farm, has to have more pink, so two big pots are cooking right now. I hope to get it shipped in the morning, if not tonight, if the blast furnace of sun and heat this afternoon (80 F, or above!) dries it sufficiently. Oh, if customers only knew what we shepherd/fiber artists go through with these runs of roving. I breathe a sigh of relief when I get a notice from the mill that my run has been received. John will bring it to me in Maryland, ready to put out in my booth. I have many bags cut out, ready to sew. I need thread, and cedar shims for the bottoms. There is always something I need. Rainbow Meadow has decided not to carry coconut oil and shea butter, necessitating a seperate order. It used to be so convenient to do one stop shopping with them. They still have the best selection of oils that I know of. The housekeeping issue is a real problem. I manage to get out a fabulous meal every night for the Weatherization Warrior, who is so consumed with what he is doing for the environment and the poor people of New York State that he comes home totally spent. I don't even bother him with the paltrey details of my life, with school and farm business. I don't think he would hear what I'm saying. He helps me with chores (feeding) and going to the feed mill on the weekend. I can't lift 100 pound sacks, but Matt can, and that's a big help. He gets himself out the door in the morning after throwing out bales. A man with no career is a sad thing. A "high level government official" is coming from Washington to visit his training center next week, then there's the trip to Austin, Texas, the week after that. This all could end if Obama is not re-elected and those federal funds dry up, so I'm glad he's having fun now. Let's see, should I tackle the mound of dishes in the sink, or sweep the floors, or wash clothes, it's all waiting for me. Maybe I'll drink some coffee first...

No comments: