Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mohair on the Hoof




Jim Baldwin is coming to shear my goats on May 15. I will have a LOT of mohair to play with. Long range plans include putting together my Glimakra floor loom to weave mohair rugs. My mohair is not soft enough for next to the skin wear, except for the kids, but it will make fantastic rugs. I've wanted to do some serious weaving for years, but moving around, teaching full time, animals fuller time, farm business, etc, have all conspired against it. I bought a fabulous Swedish loom a while back but it's in pieces in the tractor shed. In the meantime, Matt put up a fence inside the big barn doors so I can feed the goats over the rail, instead of running as fast as I can around the hay mow, dumping feed in pans from buckets. The goats would put their heads in the pan to get their space and I would either be pushed aside or have to dump the feed on their heads. Farming is all about management, did I say management? Good management is the difference between success and failure. I've had one foot over the failure fence but plan to get back on the other side on firm ground.

No comments: