Monday, February 11, 2013

Why?

Sometimes I wonder why I am so diligent about my journal.  I rarely miss more than a few days.  Some thoughts on why I have kept it up for almost 4,000 entries...

When I talk about the farm at work people's eyes quickly glaze over and dart around, as if they are thinking I really don't have time for this. So I don't try any more. I think what I'm doing on the farm is really cool and different, but not everyone thinks so.  I completely understand why they think that way.   If I post my farm activites there have got to be shepherds or wanna- be shepherds who think it's cool like I do.  Somebody is always listening, and their eyes are not glazing over.

I have no family around here and I like my kids to know what's going on here on the farm.  It's like saying hey - your Mom is doing fine.  I'm still here and this is what I'm up to.  Come and visit!

I love social history.  In school I was always more interested in what people do when they throw their legs over the side of the bed than politics and warfare.   I have relatives who did amazing things but there is no record of their thoughts and feelings, that I know of.

I love the elements, as wild and treacherous as they can be.  Tending to the animals in all kinds of weather brings me outside more than I would ordinarily go.  I adore the wide open spaces.

Some time ago I decided to press that strange button labeled "Stats."  It tells me that quite a few people, from all over the world, log on to my journal on a daily basis.  What a miracle modern technology is.  Annie says they are not people, but robots looking to infect my computer with viruses and such.  Okay, maybe.  Once in a while I get a legitimate email from someone who thanks me for sharing my life with them.  One than one person told me she logs on each night before she goes to sleep, just to check what's going on, here on Maggie's Farm.  I feel so good when I hear comments like that.  One old and dear friend from New Jersey told me she checks random entries, from any of the five years I've been doing this.  That's very cool, and keeps me writing.

So I thank you friends, for your support and encouragement.  You are very inspiring to me....and the people who read out of morbid curiousity with negative vibes - in my blessed mother's words - you are just jealous.  My journey has been fraught with challenges and heartbreak, but it's a worthwhile one.     Some people chose easier lives,  but they can't be nearly as exciting and "wild" as mine.


8 comments:

Cate said...

I live in Delaware and "met" you on Sheepthriils about 200 years ago. Daily reader - love reading about your life and wish it were easier.

Anonymous said...

Maggie, I adore your blog and have for some time now....I "discovered" you via Chicken Stitches. I'm in Westchester County and am somewhat familiar with your neck of the woods, as my sister has lived in Binghamton for the last 20+ years. I appreciate your blog, and your sharing the realities of your life, work and farm. I tried to get up to Rhinebeck last fall to score some of your wool, but was unable to that particular weekend....come heck or high water, I will make this year's festival. Thank you again for all you share with us. I check in everyday and look forward to each day's chapter! --Leslie

Nancy said...

Hi Maggie, I read your blog almost every day, and I am not a computer :)) I love reading about your life on the farm. A dream I won't be able to realize for myself in this life. We had chickens for 8 years and enjoyed that. Right now focusing on our 5 rescue dogs and decided that's enough for me. So I do love reading about your life. I am email buddies with Laticia Mullin who I know you are friends with as well. I am a soapmaker, spinner and knitter too. So keep on writing, I am listening.

Cate said...

And forgot too add: I am a grad of Nottingham, and I send my mom and all her friends to Plowshares each year just to look for you. Tell Annie this is MARKETING!!!!

English sheep gal said...

HI Maggie, another non robot checking in, I'm a beginner knitter and spinner living in Wales, NY (nr Buffalo)and picked up one of your cards with the blog info on it from Hemlock Fiber Festival last Fall. I love reading about your 'wild' life, no glazing over and trying to escape here! I appreciate that you share the lows as well as the highs, frozen drains, escaping chickens, injuries, firewood stacked in the worst place. Please keep writing, I love reading about your life. Hannah

Anonymous said...

i read your blog almost every night. i enjoy hearing the stories and wonder what the heck that life is like.
your "city" friend, Sharon

MMD said...

Well, my eyes do not glaze over while reading about your farm life! Thank you for sharing!:-)

Dan said...

Hello Maggie:
I just "re-found" your blog. I used to read it every day but I have been awol since before the summer and now I will have the joy of catching up on hundreds of entries. I am so hoping that you have had a good year and that your family and farm and friends are all doing well. I have had a lot of family losses over the past year, and for me to be able to resume reading this wonderful blog is a happy "return to normal" for me. I thought of you and your family during the Super Bowl when one of the commercials was dedicated to the strength and determination of the Family Farmer. I think of your adventures (in farming, in teaching, in loving your family) as truly All American and truly inspiring.
Your Friend,
Dan