Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day Is Done

The barn is 44 F. inside and it doesn't seem too much colder outside.  Freezing rain and snow is forecast for later tonight and tomorrow.  Other than the overcast sky you would not know it.  Just came in from the barn.  Was worried about Valentine's mom, I call her Vicky, as she was staring around with a glaze over her eyes and was not interested in her daily cracked corn snack.  I was about to give her a shot of penicillin, just in case, when I saw her crunching on her hay.  Don't like to doctor an animal unless it's necessary.  I leaned over and grabbed little Valentine by his sweater to look him over.  He's definitely gaining weight and his belly is full and firm.  I noticed he's been nursing from both sides of mom's udder.  One was dead, or so I thought, as a result of past mastitis.  I see the little one nursing from both sides regularly.  I wonder if he got it started up again?  The miracle of motherhood and nature at work.  I want to let Vicky and Valentine out of their little pen to join the others in the maternity area, but the other four lambs are so big and boisterous, with the hungry moms shoving each other, and the children, away from the feed, that I'm afraid little V. will be trampled.  Maybe in a few days.  I know that would perk up mom a bit.  I have to order tags for the gang of five lambs and more vaccinations.   I have more sheep to shear, and many fleeces to sort...the ongoing saga that never ends.   Tonight I think I will spin a bit and watch this terrific PBS show called 400 Years of the Telescope.  I love astronomy and anything to do with the sky. 

1 comment:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

So when do you want to do round 2 of the shearing? If you have soap done we could do a wrapping part as well :)
Hugs
Kim and the crew