Sunday, February 05, 2012

Many Hands...

My shearing day went much more smoothly with a five person team, the minimum number for a successful job. Loren and Matt caught the sheep and gave them to Jim, Darryl took the sheep off the platform while Kim quickly scooped up the fleece, shaking it and letting any second cuts and debris fall to the floor and sweeping off the platform with a broom.  Darryl held the sheep while I trimmed the hooves and gave vaccinations and did the worming.  With 42 sheep that equals 120 plus hooves done while bending over and holding up an often uncooperative animals leg.  No wonder I am a bit sore today.    If sheep and goat hooves are not trimmed they fold over underneath the foot and harbor bacteria which can cause problems as in the dreaded "foot rot."  I am very grateful for all the help I received yesterday and know better than to attempt a shearing without adequate help.  Matt and I have done it ourselves many times but this way is much more gratifying for all concerned.

No comments: