Sunday, February 05, 2012

Oh, the Indignity of It All!

My sheep look much better with the wool on, but when it's time to come off, it's time to come off.  I don't raise sheep for meat, so the wool is how they earn their keep.  I have to get the wool washed, dyed and dried and off to the carding mill in time for them to process it and bring it to me at Maryland Sheep and Wool.  I sent some fleeces home with Kimmie Cornerstone as she has a family member with a carding mill of her own - can you imagine such a luxury?  Kim is a world-class-spinner and drop spindle teacher and will bring her fabulous hand spun yarn to Maryland in seven short weeks.  I have a Rambouillet fleece from my rescued ewe, and a huge, black Merino/BFL cross fleece from my ram, Romeo.  Zack, my purebred Border Leicester ram (that's the "Babe" movie sheep) gave me pounds and pounds of curly white wool.  The rest are Bluefaced Leicester fleeces, black and white, baby-fine and soft as can be.  I have my work cut out for me in the next few weeks but won't it be fun to put it out for customers and see how they like my color combinations. 

No comments: