Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Very Cold Hump Day


If I can make it through Wednesday I'm good to go. Thursday feels like Friday is almost here. 8 F. at 5 am and it won't go up much. I sniff the air when I open my eyes to tell how recently the fire went out. It was kinda cool in the apt. this morning. Took me 15 minutes to get the fire going again. The temp will dive over the next couple of days. I keep the drip on at night and pray the heat tape over the Peck's tube in the barn keeps the "pipes" from freezing. As long as I have electric I should be okay. My gigantic water heater keeps plenty of hot water ready. We can't have one of those green instant water heaters due to mineral content in our water, or some such reason, so we keep burning money with the old style. Sure feels good in the bath tub. I carry hot water all over the barn now and hope the critters drink fast. My ewe is still lying down, but eating hay and munching on corn. Wormed her, vitamin B, electrolytes in her water, etc. but she's weak. Have to bring a fecal to the vet, but she's many miles out of the way and I'm always beating a path back home after school. I'm being observed today...always a nervous wreck about that, even after many years of observations. With my student population you never know what's going to happen and you have to show what you're made of. My "three F's and you're out" was implemented yesterday not 5 minutes into the class. Gotta get going on morning chores. Larry and Lester are down to three bottles a day. They're nibbling on hay like good lambies. Levi is on his own with mom, but still in the pen. He's sooooo black and pretty. Better suit up good this morning, and turn the Jeep on to warm up.

No comments: