Saturday, January 10, 2009

Big Storm Coming


I love snow, but it can really put a kink in your day. We need to get our weekly load of hay in, which is difficult with heavy snow coming down. It's hard work in good weather. Matt likes Mr. Simmonds, "Fred," and enjoys discussing politics, economics, philosophy, etc. with him. If I have to give almost my entire teaching salary to someone for hay, I'm glad it's a local farmer and someone we like. We wanted to go to the multiplex cinema in New Hartford, get a bite to eat at Panera, then coffee at B&N before taking the young lieutenant to the train station. He was very helpful last night, hauling the water to the rams for me again, and keeping the sheep away from me while I fed the bunnies. If it was up to the sheep the bunnies would never eat. Ah, those tasty bunny pellets! I made a big dinner for AJ and Beasty Boy last night. Had to get over to the Earlville Opera House first to pick up my unsold bags. Much to my delight, three out of seven bags sold. Very interesting...the two smaller $99 bags sold, and one big one at $135. The opera house takes a nice cut, but hey, I love the place. Every penny I took home goes for the hay purchase today. I was amazed any bags sold at all, with the current economic climate, at this teeny tiny show in a teeny tiny town. I HAVE to FORCE myself to make smaller more marketable bags. It's just that I always have so much to carry around, I tend to think of other people having the same load. I don't use a pattern, I just cut. Have to reign in those scissors. I am shopping for fabric on a site suggested to me by another bag maker, fabricguru.com. Wow, what a great tip. They have lots of high-end upholstery fabrics from big-name companies and ship any amount for $5. I had so many fabric sources in NJ but the only good fabric store around here is Joannes. I like to go a little more far-afield than that and shop for something different. Have to sew like crazy this winter. Fine with me.

2 comments:

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Oh wow what gorgeous choices for fabric!!! Must make sewing a joy to do.
HUGs to all -stay warm :)
BFN
Kim and crew

Anonymous said...

Maggie - That site does look hot for fabric. And I'm making Lentil soup! I feel so domestic...i hope it doesn't taste bad. Have a great time with AJ. See you monday!

Gretchen