Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thursday Night


Gretchen's birthday came at a perfect time. Her desk was covered with presents at school. Kelly and Laurie made birthday cakes - peanut butter fluff at lunch and ice cream cake with staff members from other parts of the building in the afternoon. It took the edge off the events of yesterday. Tomorrow is Friday and more than one of us is anxiously awaiting the first paycheck in three months. I picked my sewing machines up yesterday but the Janome is still not working. It needs a new needle plate, which Mr. Silts ordered for me. The little Singer Featherweight does not sew the heavy fabrics I use for my bags. I have a ton of soap to wrap and the unscented still isn't cut yet. I am gathering up odds and ends of roving runs from the last couple of years to sell in a sale basket. I need shaving brushes for the blocks. I know I have enough bags, good job Maggie, but will keep sewing 'til the fingers drop off. I need to get out my booth sign which says "Maggie's Farm on the Delaware" but I don't live on the Delaware anymore. I need to get stencils to paint Brookfield, New York, over it. Wish I had done it in good weather. It's cold already and my mohair hasn't dried in two days of being outside. I bring it in each night, then put it back outside in the morning. Matt is going away for the weekend and I will have a lot to do. Next weekend will be here before you know it and I will be heading out to Hemlock, NY, just three hours west of here. I would like to do the farmer's market on Saturday, but rain is forecast for the afternoon and I don't want to be sitting there when the sky opens up. My time might be better spent working on next weekend. I noticed Little Manny acting funny when I put the bales out tonight. I climbed over the fence and approached him. One of his cute little horns was broken off and jammed against his head! I could see the bloody stump under the curls. I carried him in the barn to get a better look. He wouldn't let me touch it. I gave him a shot of Banadine for pain and some cracked corn. He nibbled on it then ran for the cat food dish. Poor little Manny - I love the little critter. Another goat or sheep must have butted him bad. I wish he would stay with Monkey and Lincoln under the pine tree but he is an independent little buck kid and does what he pleases.

No comments: