Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Counting Down Two Days

I thought I would post now since I will be hopping around like crazy at home tonight. Decided to pack up some things I can put prices on in the booth Friday night. I have a pile of newly shorn fleeces I won't be able to sort through, which annoys me no end since they are very salealbe (is that a word?)right now...especially the kid mohair. I will start packing the trailer tonight. Decided I will wear my sheepy sweatshirts and jeans since I can't find my favorite hippy Indian dress!!! In a weak moment I told Jolene from the Bluefaced Leicester group that I will speak on BFL fiber at a discussion forum. Two people cancelled previous to me. She has done a terrific job of organizing the very first Bluefaced Leicester show in this country and I felt I owed her that. People are trucking their Blues from all over the country but I have my booth to worry about. Still need another 1,000 bales, that's $2,000 I don't have. All for want of a tractor or a farmer neighbor who would be willing to mow my fields. Guess I am too new in town and I don't let them hunt my land...payback is tough so I will have to pay for hay yet another year. Those stock kitchen cabinets are looming large, too. Oh, well, I don't have time to plan a real good lecture complete with props. My approach will be an informal, farmy one - telling how I got in to Blues, promoting BFL wool, showing some sweaters made with BFL fiber, etc. I will talk about how to raise good fiber, sheep health, etc. I don't know from micron counts, etc. I just know good wool. I tried to get Kathy Davidson, a big breeder in Maryland and the shepherd I buy a ram from every year, to do the talk for me but she said, what are you kidding? With all those fussy know-it-all BFL people around to criticize what I'm saying? They really are a funny bunch at times. Oh, well, if I can't dazzle them with my brilliance I will baffle them with my bull----!! Have to go home from work to get to work.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Maggie, are you near Scoharie? My sister and her husband have a farm there, and, if it's not too far, you might get they to help you cut your hay.

Kathleen said...

okay, you might get THEM to help cut yoour hay. Sheesh...sometimes my spelling sucks.

Maggie's Farm said...

Don't know where Schoharie is but it is probably too far to transport a tractor, mower and baler. Thanks anyway!