Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Almost Halloween


If I linger at school to get something done, then make a few stops on the way home, it's almost dark when I take the doggies on our nightly trek up the hill. Oh, I forgot, I make supper somewhere in there, too. It was cabbage and leek soup from the garden with wild rice added. Oh, it was delicious. I'm going to try to get more done on the weekend so I don't have to stop at stores on the way home. It takes so much out of me, and I like to get home with some daylight time to check things out around the farm. The dogs don't mind the dark at all, and stay close to me while I pick my way up the path we have worn over the months. When I throw the ball for Bodie I shine my miner's light on the water so he can see where to swim. Finn and Knut are always so happy to be off their lines for an hour and run around checking out coyote smells, sheep and goat smells and drink pond water. They almost always tiptoe back down the trail with me and wait at their igloos where they get their nightly meal. It takes me an hour more to get all the bunnies, kitties and chickens fed. I try to pick up every single cat and give it a snuggle in my ongoing effort to keep my barn cats docile. I have four whose mothers kept them so hidden I never had a chance to gentle them. It's going to be tough to get them in to the vet. I asked Matt to go up to the hay mow for me to throw down a bale of bunny hay. It's spooky up there enough, but on All Hallow's Eve? I started to drag garbage down the lane toward the dumpster but something about the wall of darkness stopped me. I have this funny idea about spirits drifting over from the cemetery. According to Chris Kupris, they are already here. Jan will be building her house next to where they are resting, over by the creek. Maybe she will draw them back over to her field. Fine with me!

No comments: