Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Trapped Once Again

Here I am in my windowless classroom...with not a single natural fiber anywhere to be seen. Just got my desk cleaned with clorox and water, wiped off the computer, file cabinets, etc. and thought I would limber up the key board. My mailbox was filled with manilla envelopes I need to go through. We had a welcome back meeting after bagels and doughnuts in the lobby. It's good to see my Career Academy co-workers again. What a great bunch I work with, which makes me feel a little better about leaving the farm behind. Couldn't get to sleep last night worrying about leaving everybody by themselves all day. Guess we will all have to adjust. I am so lucky to have a teaching job which allows me to be here at 8:30 and run out the door at 3:00. My colleagues are very understanding about the farming aspect of my life. This building is being refurbished and there are half a dozen construction workers in the hall outside my room. One of them is walking around on contractor stilts, what a sight! Their boom box is blasting oldies. There is a huge addition going on to this building where my department will be housed next year. Our New York State tax dollars at work. Unfortunately, Cosmetology won't be open for a while. They are way behind and the Cos teachers are bummed. Their beauty parlor is an empty shell. It is usually buzzing with future beauticians beautifying each other and the public clients. I was hoping to get a pedicure and get these leather soles shaved off my heels. Not even my Shepherd's Friend Hand Creme with it's amazing exfoliative component can penetrate the callouses built up from running around the farm all day (and night). I'm afraid they will slice through my new socks. Speaking of socks, I might be putting them into action this weekend at Vermont Sheep and Wool. AJ is in NJ now and will come up on Thursday and drive me to Vt. Friday night. It was cold this morning and I found myself grabbing a wool sweater when I took the doggies out. Wool, yes, it is all about wool isn't it? No picture this post - nothing on the school computer!

No comments: