Monday, May 20, 2013

Maternity Ward

The corridor behind the stanchions is filling up with mom/baby pens.  It's important to let the moms and babies be together to "mother up" for a few days after birth.  Goat moms will steal each other's babies, or ignore them as I found out on Saturday.  I came home from the Hamilton market and walked in on a twin birth.  I think mom was thrown by the fact that there were two of them, then I walked in and interrupted the maternal bonding process.  I am cautiously hopeful.  Saturday she was stepping on them in the little pen I confined them too.  We've been nursing mom out to keep her milk flowing and I'm bottle feeding the tiny little fragile babies - one of each.  I can hardly stand to leave them to come to work.  They are like little tea cup French poodles, and root for teats on my leg.  Precious little sweeties...


No comments: