Friday, January 13, 2012

Scrambled

I like to make scrambled eggs for my class every morning, and fully intended to do so today had I not left a bag of eggs on the barn floor somewhere as I rushed to get out the door.  The weather forecast was ominous, and the storm hit a half hour before I left.  I hate to drive in bad weather but it was too late to call in and the sturdy old 4WD Chevy Blazer was waiting for me with a full tank of gas.  I put on silk underwear under my jeans and threw boots with heavy socks, mittens, hat and a coat in the truck - just in case I had to hike.  Gusts of wind were causing the stove to back draft despite the updraft fan and I was concerned about the puppies breathing smoke.  What to do, what to do.  I cracked the window thinking it would help the stove draft.  The puppies could cuddle in the box with their soft blanket and be happy chewing on the meaty goat leg I gave them.  Oh, they are so cute...but they are taking over the house.  I remember picking up Tanner and Java, who lives in Canada now, from the farm down the road.  It was so bitter cold, and they were living outside in shed with their litter mates, unlike these pampered puppies.  Speaking of bitter cold, it is back with temps diving this weekend.  I'm sitting at my desk contemplating my long drive in the snow on roads that have been snowed on all day.  I have no choice but to get out in it and make my way home, hoping I will find everyone okay when I get there.  It was a good day in school, all in all, and I work with such terrific people.   I'm waiting for Friday Euphoria to set in...but there's a slippery drive home first.

No comments: