Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bye-Bye Puppies

I didn't look for them but they found me.  What a blessing my puppies have been these last few weeks.  I remember when we went to see this poor dog, lost or abandoned in the neighbor's field.  I still have no idea where she came from, or how long she was out there in the elements,  but Reba lives here now and is supremely happy on the farm.  I don't think Reba will miss the puppies.  She was a fabulous mother, but she's tired and needs a rest from her ordeal.  Reba loves her leisure time on the sofa, or at the foot of my bed.  She follows me around the barn when I do chores, and now barks protectively when she hears things.  For several weeks at first she did not bark at all and I was worried.   Reba has some annoying habits, like pushing through a door ahead of me when I go outside, but I know she just doesn't want to be left behind.  I can deal with her abandonment issues.  I feel very satisfied and grateful the puppies are going to good homes in the suburbs of Long Island and New Jersey.  They will go to the vet when necessary, have dog toys to play with and wear cutesy designer outerwear and canine accoutrement.  Sure, they won't have sheep poo to eat or come home dragging carcasses and bones of various varmints, but that's okay.   They will have ID chips implanted and contact info velcroed to fancy collars, with dog licenses always up-to-date.  Their nails will be naturally ground down by all those walks on development sidewalks by yuppie runners, and have favorite fire hydrants and mailboxes to leave calling cards on.  Every Christmas the puppies will have stockings hung for Santa Claus,  fluffy new LL Bean plaid doggie beds, and nifty food bins that let fresh kibble fall as needed.   There will be tins on the counter with tasty treats in cellophane packages and the puppies will learn tricks to earn their goodies.  Most of all they will be loved and adored by nice, responsible, employed people who took pity on a homeless country mutt and her predicament, and were willing to drive hours to fetch the darlings and give them forever homes.  Sure, they could afford to buy whatever breed of purebred puppy they want, from breeders who charge ridiculous sums of money and ignore the fact that there are thousands of homeless dogs waiting for homes.  Instead, they adopt needy but adorable angels who are blessed with the variety of genes that will make them healthier and live longer than dogs with the fancy pedigrees.  I thought about keeping one of Reba's puppies as my "code" will not let me purchase dogs from breeders but allows me to take in dogs who are homeless and desperate.   I have my hands full, and I want Reba.   We're both a couple of old ladies who are just looking for a little peace and comfort in life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for my dear old friend George and his family. You will not find a better home on Gods green earth for his puppy.

Cornerstone Fibres said...

Lucky puppies!!! And rescused puppies make the best dogs :) And lucky Reba who gets to spend her days loved and blessed living on Maggies Farm.
Java has all those treats etc except for the dog bed -that is beneath her she has a couch and the little boy to share her bed with her-she is a spoiled baby and she knows it. We are so thrilled to have her a part of our lives.
HUGS to all
Kim and the crew