Monday, June 19, 2006

We are moving...


Friday was my last day of school. Mixed emotions...all those years of school, knocking myself out to get that AA, BA and MA in six years. Late nights, dark parking lots, icy roads, deadlines. Kids left alone, housekeeping not done, no socializing. Resumes, interviews, uncertainty. Finally a decent job in an upscale "J-Crew" high school. Earning tenure, finally feeling secure, good pay. And I walked away to move to my little farm in a beautiful valley in central New York. Sheep kind of "happened to me" and now they are a way of life. It is not only the sheep, it is my angora goats, my llamas, the fiber they give me and the company they provide me with. It is working outside in all kinds of weather...coming back in after doing chores in freezing rain, warming by the fire. I spent last year in five windowless classrooms all day long. I felt sorry for myself and the students.

M-o-v-e is a four letter word for a reason! It's horrible! Chaos rules my life ordinarily, but picking it all up and organizing it is a daunting task. My youngest son is home from the Army until July 8 and is helping me makes trips to the farm every other day. We load up the pick-up and the trailer, unload, try to make a little fun out of the day by taking a walk, ride to a nearby site, etc., then travel home. Gas is ridiculous. $100 for a round trip. Working at home seems to make more sense all the time...

No comments: