Monday, November 26, 2012

Luke's Swedish Pancakes

Luke loves my Swedish pancakes.  I make them the way my Swedish grandfather, Knut Birger (pronounced BEER-yer) Alexanderson made them.  Annie and I made a pile of pancakes for the family on Thanksgiving weekend in Maine.  We had tandem cast iron frying pans going - tricky for me at first not having used that classic pan before.  Luke didn't care that some of the pancakes fell apart.  He didn't hesitate to chow down on the eggy, buttery goodness.  When I visit the family on Christmas I'm going to bring a mega-bottle of New York State Maple Syrup to drown the next batch of Opa's Swedish Pancakes in.

Opa's Swedish Pancake Recipe

Ingredients:  one dozen eggs
                    one stick real butter
                    one can evaporated milk
                    one tablespoon cinnamon
                    one teaspoon nutmeg
                    one pinch salt
                    three heaping tablespoons flour


Combine all ingredients in a blender.  Melt the stick of butter in the frying pan you are going to use.  Pour the melted butter in the pancake batter.  Blend.  Pour small amounts of the batter in the buttered frying pan.  These pancakes resemble French crepes.  When the edges curl up flip the pancake over and cook until golden brown.  Roll up or flip in half and serve with, yes, more butter and real maple syrup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am going to make your Swedish pancakes for my Sam and he is going to loose his little mind! Thanks Maggie, xo. Suzy