Monday, May 19, 2008

What Are You Doing?



I had little pairs of eyes watching me shear goaties yesterday. Sugar and Spice were very curious about the goat with her neck in a brace, way up high. I got three black goats sheared. Wish I had a shearing stand years ago. Most of the goats I've sheared so far took it quite well. Tess, red #4, whose favorite pastime is getting her head caught in the barnyard fence, was not very cooperative. She kept trying to get her head out of the brace to bite me. Tess is Mia's goat. Mia was babysitting the farm when Tess was born three years ago on the Fourth of July. She found Tess and held the teeny tiny little doe kid in the palms of her hand. So very tiny at birth, she grew up to be a big, beautiful, very, very black doe and a terrific mother. The doe pictured here is a little more silver, but has very glossy, lovely mohair. Tess is a bit coarse - perfect for rugs if I could get my Glimakra floor loom up and going. 30 degrees on the farm this morning...fine with me. Every day the flies are delayed from hatching is another day to enjoy on the farm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sugar and Spice and everything nice .... Need one say more?

I think not!

Cornerstone Fibres said...

All that gorgeous fibre!!!! Yummy!
Glad to see them out on the grass. When is the fencing party commencing??
HUGS
Kim

Kathleen said...

Woooo...look at that gorgeous new fleece showing through underneath the clipped one! Beautiful slivery black!